C-119G “Flying Boxcar”
SERIAL NUMBER: 53-22134
Wing Span: 109 ft. 4 in.
Length: 86 ft. 6 in.
Height: 26 ft. 3 in.
Maximum Speed: 218 mph at 10,000 ft.
Service Ceiling: 23,900 ft.
Range: 1,770 Miles
Crew/Passengers: 4 crew, 40 passengers
Armament: C-119: none,
AC-119: 4 x GAU-2 7.62mm mini-guns, or 2 x M6lAl 20mm gatling guns
Engines: 2 x 3,500 H.P. Wright R-3350-89 radial engines.
The C-119 was developed directly from the World War II era Fairchild C-82 "Packet." Although introduced too late to see service in World War II, 220 C-82's were built. They provided valuable technical and operational data for the new C-119.
Major improvements included a longer fuselage, a larger cargo capacity, and the more powerful 3,500 h.p., Wright R-3350 engines. Between November 1947 and October 1955, a total of 1,112 C-119's of all models were constructed. The C-119 saw extensive service during the Korean War transporting cargo, troops and litter patients.
The "Flying Boxcar" was also capable of deploying troops and cargo by parachute through its rear doors.
During the Vietnam War, 52 C-119's were converted to AC-119G and AC-119K gunship standards. Entering combat in 1969, these aircraft were equipped with four 7.62mm mini-guns capable of firing 6,000 rounds per minute, and also carried the AVQ-8 night vision/illumination system and parachute flares.
The C-119 flew with the Air Force and Reserves and also with the Royal Canadian Air Force into the late 1970s. After being declared surplus, our C-119G was used in a pest control capacity until being donated to the Heritage Center in October of 1988.
Travis Heritage Center's C-119G
Information derived from, “Travis Heritage Center” by Nick Veronico, copyright Travis AFB Historical Society and Travis AFB Heritage Center Foundation.
This book is available from the Travis Heritage Center gift shop.